Your metabolism is the driving force behind your body’s vitality. Metabolism is the process your body uses to convert food and drink into energy. A high metabolism rate, health factors, good nutrition and physical activities that build muscle all help build a strong metabolism. Keep yours healthy and it will reward you with improved health.
The number of calories your body uses to carry out the function of converting what you eat and drink into energy is commonly known as your metabolic rate – or metabolism. You may have heard it said that a slow metabolism can be inherited from a parent, and this can actually be true. The good news is that you are not stuck with the metabolism you were born with.
Physical activity is a key factor in boosting metabolism into a higher gear. In fact, doing strength training just a couple times each week can reverse, by up to 50%, the slowdown in metabolism that happens as we age.
Here are some actions to shift your metabolism:
- High-intensity interval exercise – kick up you routines by integrating short bursts of intensity
- Eating omega-3 fatty acids – like those in salmon, herring and tuna
- Strength training – muscle uses more energy than fat and burns more calories
- Drink green tea – and expand your calorie burn up to 90 calories a day
- Eat enough calories – so your body does not go into lean mode and slow
- Extend the afterburn – that continues caloric burning post-exercise with more frequent and harder exercise
- Start early – with a good nutritional breakfast
- Lose the trans fats – that slow your ability to burn fat
- Eat organic – keeps toxins out of your thyroid
- Choose protein – that requires greater energy to absorb nutrients and you will feel satiated longer
Metabolism and Weight
Increasing your metabolism, and the many ways of doing so – including increased physical activity and nutritional changes – often results in weight loss and consistency in the body’s ability to remain at a healthy weight.
At Thriven Functional Medicine, we work with our clients to help them move forward, recover from illness, and maintain a balanced lifestyle. We partner with you to educate, equip and empower you on your journey toward better health. Call us today at 406-205-8100 to learn more about our unique medical clinic and all-inclusive packages for making hope, health and healing possible. We focus on providing you an experience and results that will far exceed your expectations.