GOLDEN MILK (To aid in sleep)
Yield: Makes 2 cups
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 (1-inch) piece turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Ground cinnamon (for serving)
- Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon.
- Do Ahead: Golden milk can be made 5 days ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill. Warm before serving.
Cooks’ Note: Using fresh turmeric adds a clean, bright flavor to this drink, but dried turmeric can be substituted when fresh is not available. Keep in mind that dried turmeric will settle to the bottom of the mug, so stir well before drinking
To Wake Up:
Green tea is a great option for morning instead of coffee because it does have a little caffeine (less than coffee) but it also has a lot of other health benefits. Green tea contains compounds that are strong antioxidants and immune supporters. Dr. Anderson recommends drinking green tea in the morning and then using the same bag throughout the day. Each time you use the same bag, you get less caffeine and more of the good stuff (catechins, phenols and ECGs). As a result, when you have your last cup at bedtime, you are drinking compounds that help calm and regulate your body.