Making meditation a regular part of your lifestyle can have a number of positive health benefits. It can improve concentration, decrease stress and increase acceptance in one’s life.
Ways Meditation Can Improve Your Life
Meditation is an Eastern tradition brought to the West over half a century ago. It comes in many styles and practices. Implemented as part of a regular practice, it offers many health benefits and can improve your life in many ways, including:
- Encourages a healthy lifestyle
- Improves concentration
- Helps reduce stress
- Enhances self-awareness
- Boosts happiness
- Increases acceptance
- Helps slow aging of the mind
- Boosts immunity
- Benefits cardiovascular health
When we are in a state of stress, we are usually regretting something that happened in the past or worrying about what may happen in the future. Thinking too many stressful thoughts can put us under constant tension and even kick us into anxiety. A regular meditation practice can control what is sometimes called the “monkey mind” by slowing down racing thoughts that may be all over they place.
Our thoughts do not have to dictate who we are. Meditation brings us into the present moment and places the focus on our breathing, decreasing our fears about our past and future, and placing us in the only time frame we can manage.
Your Brain on Meditation
While most people are familiar with the many advantages of meditating, they may not know that there is science to support the practice, or that it actually changes the human brain. An article in Psychology Today cites how the brain changes with meditation:
- Lateral prefrontal cortex –the “assessment center” part of the brain that allows us to view things from a more rational, logical and balanced perspective.
- Medial prefrontal cortex –the “me center” that references back to you – your perspective and experiences, and empathy.
- Insula –monitors body sensations, such as our gut feelings to guide us.
- Amygdala –the fear center that promotes responses, like our fight-or-flight response.
At Thriven Functional Medicine, we work with our clients to help them move forward, recover from illness, and maintain a balanced lifestyle. We partner with you to educate, equip and empower you on your journey toward better health. Call us today at 406-205-8100 to learn more about our unique medical clinic and all-inclusive packages for making hope, health and healing possible. We focus on providing you an experience and results that will far exceed your expectations.